Cis B. Golder Quality of Life Grant
Living Beyond Breast Cancer, in partnership with Bringing Hope Home, seeks applicants for the Cis B. Golder Quality of Life Grant, a program that provides small grants to women affected by breast cancer in the Philadelphia area.
Grants will be awarded to help with immediate financial needs and support a good quality of life. To ensure we reach as many women as possible, we will award grants one time only to individuals in need. Priority will be given to women in active breast cancer treatment or who finished treatment in the last year.
About Cis B. Golder
Cis Golder served as a dedicated volunteer for LBBC for more than a decade. She was diagnosed and treated for breast cancer three times. Despite the toll breast cancer took on her life, Cis remained positive and passionate about helping others. She especially cared about women and families without the means to get the help they need during and after breast cancer treatment.
When Cis passed away in May 2006, her family and friends created the grants to carry on Cis’s legacy.
Eligibility for the Cis B. Golder Grant
Breast cancer treatment can be very expensive, especially if you have little or no insurance. In addition to visible medical expenses are many “invisible” ones like transportation, loss of income, co-pays and others that put stress on you and your household.
The grant provides financial assistance and support services to women with breast cancer in the Delaware Valley. Grant funds, if awarded, are paid directly to services or vendors. No grant money is given directly to the applicant.
This grant may cover:
- Rent, mortgage or utilities
- Groceries, child care, personal care/needs and respite care
- Wellness promotion services, like nutrition management, physical fitness and physical therapy
- Massage, yoga, acupuncture and other complementary treatments
- Wigs, breast prosthesis and compression garments to treat lymphedema when not covered by insurance
Applying for a Cis B. Golder Grant
Applications are accepted in March, June, September and December.
You may apply for the grant on your own behalf, or you may ask a relative, friend, healthcare professional or co-worker to nominate you. To apply, you must:
- Be a woman diagnosed with breast cancer (priority will be given to women in active treatment and/or diagnosed within the last year or women living with metastatic breast cancer)
- Be a resident of the Delaware Valley (In Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, Bucks, Chester, Delaware and Montgomery counties; In New Jersey - Camden, Burlington and Gloucester counties)
- Complete the application yourself or be nominated by a family member, friend, co-worker or healthcare professional
- Applicant or nominator and their healthcare provider must write a statement (pages 4 and 7) describing the applicant’s financial difficulty that is related to their breast cancer experience and the expenses the applicant needs help with
- Have pages 6 and 7 of the application completed by one of your healthcare professionals (physician, social worker, nurse and/or case manager)
- Complete the entire application, including sources of income and expenses
We will make our best effort to review and process all completed applications within 8 to 10 weeks or sooner. We will not accept phone calls about the status of your grant application during the application review period.
How Healthcare Providers Can Help
If you know a woman in the Delaware Valley who could benefit from the Cis B. Golder Quality of Life Grant, we encourage you to nominate her by downloading a copy of the application form. Included on page 5 of the form is a HIPAA authorization to protect the privacy of the woman’s healthcare information.
For Further Information
For questions about eligibility or coverage, or if you would like a copy of the application in Spanish, please call Living Beyond Breast Cancer at (610) 645-4567 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.