Understanding Breast Cancer
Updated September 27, 2010
"You have breast cancer."
These four words can change your life forever, forcing you to face many complex medical, psychosocial, emotional, legal and financial challenges. We are dedicated to helping you face these challenges by connecting you with trusted breast cancer information and a community of support.
In this section, understand breast cancer basics and get in-depth information about symptoms and side effects, quality-of-life issues and planning for the future. Access cutting-edge breast cancer news, read our guides to understanding breast cancer, learn how to participate in clinical trials and meet the members of our medical advisory board.
We hope the information offered in this section brings you comfort, empowers you to ask questions and enables you to make sound choices about health care that will help you manage a breast cancer diagnosis, through treatment and beyond.
If you or a loved one has just been diagnosed with breast cancer, you probably have a lot of questions about testing, treatments, side effects, clinical trials and other medical and quality-of-life issues. Get answers to frequently asked questions.
- When Looking at Older Women, Researchers See Links Between Frailty, Race and Failing to Start Hormonal Therapy
- Heart Problems From Trastuzumab Not a Long-Term Issue
- For Average Risk of Second Breast Cancer, Preventive Breast Removal Yields Slight Benefit
- Is an Aromatase Inhibitor with Ovarian Suppression Better for Premenopausal Women?
- Researchers Find 25 Percent of Women With Breast Cancer Attribute Financial Problems to the Disease
Clinical trials are a type of research study that tests how well new medical approaches work in people. These studies test new methods of screening, prevention, diagnosis or treatment.
Get basic information about breast cancer clinical trials, find studies you may be eligible to participate in and explore whether taking part in a clinical trial is right for you. Get information and updates on other breast cancer research studies that follow participants over time to determine treatment outcomes.