Hear My Voice: About the Program
If you want to discover who you are as an advocate, learn how to educate others about metastatic breast cancer and connect those living with the disease to resources and a sense of community, Hear My Voice is for you.
The 2018 Hear My Voice: Metastatic Breast Cancer Outreach training will be held April 19-22, in conjunction with the 2018 Conference on Metastatic Breast Cancer: Thriving Together. The training is led by LBBC staff and prominent cancer advocacy leaders.
After the training, outreach volunteers are tasked with completing at least two outreach activities for LBBC and connecting at least one healthcare provider to LBBC within 9 months of the training. In addition, all Hear My Voice volunteers will work together to develop and implement a social media campaign about metastatic breast cancer. In the past, Hear My Voice outreach volunteers educated people about metastatic breast cancer through blogs and social media outreach, spoke about their experiences in their local communities, participated on research review boards, shared LBBC materials with healthcare providers, called for more funding for breast cancer research, and more.
Applications for the 2018 Hear My Voice class are now closed. If you applied, we will notify if you have been accepted by March 16th.
40 Monument Road, Suite 104
Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
Fax: (610) 645-4573
Participants accepted into the program will:
- Participate in welcome dinner on Thursday, a full-day training held on the Friday, and attend smaller training sessions throughout the conference weekend
- Attend the Thriving Together: Conference on Metastatic Breast Cancer in April 2018
- Complete at least two individual activities in their community and connect at least one healthcare provider to LBBC within 9 months of completing the training
- Receive ongoing technical and educational support from LBBC experts, advocacy leaders and peer support from fellow outreach volunteers throughout the program
- All women and men diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer currently living in the United States
- We are seeking a diverse candidate pool, including
- Applicants of a variety of ages, including people who are under age 45 and over age 65
- Applicants with an annual household gross income at 250 percent of the Federal Poverty Guidelines or below
- Applicants from all ethnic & racial backgrounds sexual orientations and gender identities
- Applicants with a variety of subtypes of and sites of metastatic breast cancer
Each participant will be required to complete the following within their volunteer commitment term:
- Conduct at least two individual activities in their community and work to connect others to LBBC's programs and services
- Participate in an LBBC-led outreach campaign to educate the public about metastatic breast cancer and the unique experiences and needs of those living with it
- Distribute LBBC resources to their healthcare providers
- Complete a coaching call with LBBC staff to discuss community activities
- Submit activity reports regularly throughout the program to LBBC
- Primary travel to the conference, including airfare, train, bus or car and ground transportation (up to a $450)
- Maximum of up to three nights at the conference hotel in a room shared with another Hear My Voice outreach volunteer. Hear My Voice outreach volunteers who live more than 20 miles outside the conference region are eligible for the shared hotel room
- Conference fee waiver
The program is designed to offset the cost of traveling to the conference and training. It will NOT cover all your expenses.
- Any primary travel expenses not covered by the Hear My Voice program
- Any additional travel-related expenses, such as luggage fees, flight change fees, parking fees, travel insurance, etc.
- Any hotel expenses not covered by the Hear My Voice program
- Meals, snacks and beverages not included in training and conference functions
- Rental cars
- Incidentals charged to your hotel room (including, but not limited to, room service, health club charges, gift shop charges)
You are responsible for reserving your travel and making all necessary payments upfront. Hear My Voice participants are reimbursed for their travel expenses after they complete the training.
If accepted into the program, LBBC will reserve your shared hotel room for you and assign you a roommate from the Hear My Voice Program. If you would like a single room, you will asked to pay for the full price of the hotel room. After the training, you can submit your receipt and LBBC will reimburse you for 50% of each hotel night (maximum of three nights).
Thank You 2018 Hear My Voice Program Sponsors:
Teresa Laraba Travel Grant
Award donated by