We are no longer accepting applications for Travel Grants as the deadline has passed, however a limited number of fee waivers are available for the conference.
Living Beyond Breast Cancer is pleased to provide a limited number of travel grants for the 2016 Living Beyond Breast Cancer Conference: Individual Treatments, Shared Experiences. Travel grants provide financial assistance to those who would be otherwise unable to attend the conference. We would like to thank Avon Breast Cancer Crusade; Alan Saltiel; The Teresa Laraba Travel Grant Fund supported by Southwest Airlines and their employees, and the Triple Negative Breast Cancer Foundation for their support of conference travel grants.
Travel grant applications are reviewed as they are received or until funds are depleted, so we encourage you to apply sooner rather than later.
In 2016, our funding for the travel grant program is limited, therefore, we have instituted a small, non-refundable fee of $15 for those seriously interested in attending the conference. This application fee is ONLY for travel grant applications. We have found it necessary to institute this travel grant application fee so that we may continue to assist the greatest amount of those in financial need.
What is a Travel Grant?
- A travel grant stipend aims to help offset some of your costs of attending the conference; however it will most likely not cover all expenses.
- Travel grants provide reimbursement only. No funds will be provided to recipients prior to the conference.
- NEW: There is a maximum travel grant stipend in 2016:
- $300 for CT, DC, DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA and VA who reside more than 40 miles from the conference location
- $400 for all residents living in other states in the country ( including Hawaii and Alaska) and Canada
- NEW: Reimbursement checks will be distributed on Sunday at the close of the last session at the conference which ends at 11:45 a.m.. You will need to show photo ID and sign in at the travel grant table at the beginning and end of the conference to receive your travel grant stipend on Sunday. You will not need to submit receipts to receive your stipend check. No checks will be distributed prior to the closing session on Sunday, September 25, 2016.
- NEW: Travel grant stipends can be used for conference related expenses, including sleeping rooms at the conference hotel, parking, travel, etc...
- Applicants with a demonstrated financial need, living in the United States and Canada, who otherwise would be unable to participate in the conference.
- Priority is given to applicants diagnosed with breast cancer. Limited funds are also available for caregivers and healthcare providers.
- NEW: In order for the travel grant program to serve as many as possible, beginning in 2016, you will only be eligible for one travel grant per calendar year. For example, you can receive a travel grant for either the Metastatic Conference or the 2016 Living Beyond Breast Cancer Conference, but NOT both.
- NEW: Qualified applicants will be eligible to receive a travel grant for two consecutive years. After receiving funding for two consecutive years, priority will be given to new attendees applying for travel grants.
- NEW: In order to be eligible for a travel grant you must live more than 40 miles from the conference location. If you reside 40 miles or less from the conference location, you are ONLY eligible for a fee waiver.
- NEW: There is a non-refundable application fee of $15.00, regardless of approval status, no exceptions.
- Paying application fee does not guarantee a travel grant.
- The application fee must be paid prior to completing a travel grant application.
- The fee must be paid via credit card.
- Use the funds to attend the full conference. You will be required to sign in and out and show photo ID at the travel grant registration table.
- Share information you learn at the conference with your local community.
- If you are using travel grant stipend funds towards lodging, we request that you stay at the Loews Philadelphia Hotel. A small room block has been secured at the hotel at a special reduced rate of $199 + 15.5% tax per night. You must make your own reservations. Please reference Living Beyond Breast Cancer to obtain the reduced rate. Online reservations.
- Find your own roommate, if needed. Obtaining a roommate is the responsibility of the recipient. If you are looking for a roommate, please visit the Events section of our Facebook page (just search “Living Beyond Breast Cancer” and if you haven’t already, “like” us). Once there, join 2016 Living Beyond Breast Cancer Conference: Individual Treatments, Shared Experiences to connect with other conference attendees and find a roommate.
- Complete conference evaluation forms and provide a brief testimonial statement that informs LBBC of the impact the conference had on you. By applying for and accepting the travel grant, you agree that testimonials may be used on LBBC’s website or in future marketing materials.
- If you are approved for a travel grant and you decide not to attend the conference, please send an email before the conference date to [email protected] as soon as possible so that funds can be released and made available to other applicants. Not doing so may affect your eligibility for future travel grant opportunities with our organization.
All applicants will be notified of the status of their application by email or phone within 10 business days from the date the completed application was received. Please make sure you check your email and spam folders. If you have any questions, please send an email to [email protected].
How to Apply:
- Please submit your application by Wednesday, August 24, 2016. Note that travel grant applications are reviewed as they are received or until funds are depleted, so we encourage you to apply sooner rather than later.
- Do not register for the conference before you hear about the status of your travel grant, otherwise you will forfeit your paid conference registration fee. If you are approved for a travel grant, you will receive an automatic registration fee waiver for the conference.
- All information provided in your application must be accurate. Any invalid information will result in the immediate termination of your application or travel grant.
- You will be asked to briefly describe your financial circumstances and need for a travel grant.
- Describe how you will share the information you learn at the conference with your local community.
If you have any questions, please send an email to [email protected].