Hear My Voice Outreach Volunteer Program
Living Beyond Breast Cancer’s Hear My Voice: Outreach Volunteer Program provides the tools and training to help people living with metastatic breast cancer make a difference in their physical and digital communities. If you want to discover who you are as an advocate, learn how to educate others about metastatic breast cancer and connect those living with the disease to resources and a sense of community, this program is for you.
Hear My Voice gave me a voice when I really didn't think I had one anymore.
LBBC holds the Hear My Voice: Metastatic Breast Cancer Outreach training each spring in conjunction with Thriving Together: Conference on Metastatic Breast Cancer. The training is led by LBBC staff and prominent cancer advocacy leaders.
After the training, outreach volunteers are tasked with completing at least two outreach activities and connecting at least one healthcare provider to LBBC within 9 months of the training. In the past, Hear My Voice outreach volunteers educated people about metastatic breast cancer through blogs and social media outreach, spoke about their experiences in their local communities, participated on research review boards, shared LBBC materials with healthcare providers, called for more funding for breast cancer research, and more.
Through the program, I forged relationships and friendships that I can't quite put into words. I consider many a part of my family now. Hear My Voice also helped me build the skills I needed to be more confident and successful with my outreach and advocacy work.
Participants accepted into the program will:
- Participate in a full-day outreach training held on the Friday before the Thriving Together: Conference on Metastatic Breast Cancer and smaller training sessions throughout the conference weekend
- Attend the Thriving Together: Conference on Metastatic Breast Cancer
- Complete at least two individual activities in their community and connect at least on healthcare provider to LBBC within 9 months of completing the training
- Receive ongoing technical support from LBBC experts, advocacy leaders and peer support from fellow outreach volunteers throughout the program
- All women and men diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer currently living in the United States
- We are seeking a diverse candidate pool, including
- Applicants of a variety of ages, including people who are under age 45 and over age 65
- Applicants with an annual household gross income at 200 percent of the Federal Poverty Guidelines or below
- Applicants from diverse ethnic & racial backgrounds and sexual orientation
- Applicants with a variety of subtypes of and sites of metastatic breast cancer
Each participant will be required to complete the following within 9 months of the training:
- Conduct at least two individual activities in their community and work to connect others to LBBC's programs and services
- Participate in an LBBC-led outreach campaign to educate the public about metastatic breast cancer and the unique experiences and needs of those living with it
- Distribute LBBC resources to their healthcare providers
- Submit activity reports regularly throughout the training program to LBBC
- Primary travel to the conference, including airfare, train, bus or car and ground transportation (up to an announced maximum dollar amount)
- Maximum of up to three nights at the conference hotel in a room shared with another Hear My Voice outreach volunteer. Hear My Voice outreach volunteers who live more than 20 miles outside the conference region are eligible for the shared hotel room
- Conference fee waiver
The program is designed to offset the cost of traveling to the conference and training. It will NOT cover all your expenses.
- Any primary travel expenses not covered by the Hear My Voice program
- Any additional travel-related expenses, such as luggage fees, flight change fees, parking fees, travel insurance, etc.
- Any hotel expenses not covered by the Hear My Voice program
- Meals, snacks and beverages not included in training and conference functions
- Rental cars
- Incidentals charged to your hotel room (including, but not limited to, room service, health club charges, gift shop charges)
You are responsible for reserving your travel and making all necessary payments upfront. Hear My Voice participants are reimbursed for their travel expenses after they complete the training.
If accepted into the program, LBBC will reserve your shared hotel room for you and assign you a roommate. Program participants must share a standard hotel room or pay the cost difference for a single room.
Participants accepted into the 2017 program will:
- Participate in a full-advocacy training on Friday, April 28 and shorter training sessions on Saturday, April 29 and Sunday, April 30
- Attend LBBC's Thriving Together: 2017 Conference on Metastatic Breast Cancer on April 28-30, 2017 in Philadelphia, PA
What costs does the program cover this year?
- Primary travel to the training, including car mileage, airfare, train or bus (up to $450) or a free round-trip plane ticket voucher from Southwest, if eligible
- Maximum of up to three nights in a hotel room shared with another program participant at the Hilton Philadelphia at Penn's Landing. Hotel room will only be provided to those living 20 miles outside of Philadelphia
- $75 registration fee for the Thriving Together: 2017 Conference on Metastatic Breast Cancer
How to Apply:
The deadline to apply for the 2017 program has passed.
Applicants will be notified whether they have been accepted or not accepted into the program by Friday, March 24, 2017.
Living Beyond Breast Cancer
Attn: Ingrid Mapanao
40 Monument Road, Suite 104
Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
Fax: (610) 645-4573
Thank You 2017 Hear My Voice Program Sponsors:
Avon Pfizer Metastatic Breast Cancer
Teresa Laraba Travel Grant
Award donated by