Hear My Voice: About the Program
If you want to discover who you are as an advocate, learn how to educate others about metastatic breast cancer and connect those living with the disease to resources and a sense of community, Hear My Voice is for you.
In 2017, the Hear My Voice: Metastatic Breast Cancer Outreach training will be held twice. Once during the spring at the Thriving Together: Conference on Metastatic Breast Cancer and once in the fall at the Living Beyond Breast Cancer Conference. The training is led by LBBC staff and prominent cancer advocacy leaders.
After the training, outreach volunteers are tasked with completing at least two outreach activities and connecting at least one healthcare provider to LBBC within 9 months of the training. In the past, Hear My Voice outreach volunteers educated people about metastatic breast cancer through blogs and social media outreach, spoke about their experiences in their local communities, participated on research review boards, shared LBBC materials with healthcare providers, called for more funding for breast cancer research, and more.
How to Apply:
Applications for the Hear My Voice Outreach Volunteer Program are now closed.
Potential applicants for the October 5-8, 2017 training in Memphis, TN may be contacted for an interview as part of the application process. Applicants will be notified whether they have been accepted or not by August 4.
Living Beyond Breast Cancer
Attn: Becky Mastin
40 Monument Road, Suite 104
Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
Fax: (610) 645-4573
Participants accepted into the program will
- Participate in a full-day outreach training held on the Friday before the conference and attend smaller training sessions throughout the conference weekend
- Attend the Thriving Together: Conference on Metastatic Breast Cancer in the spring or annual Living Beyond Breast Cancer Conference in the fall
- Complete at least two individual activities in their community and connect at least one healthcare provider to LBBC within 6-9 months of completing the training
- Receive ongoing technical and educational support from LBBC experts, advocacy leaders and peer support from fellow outreach volunteers throughout the program
- All women and men diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer currently living in the United States
- We are seeking a diverse candidate pool, including
- Applicants of a variety of ages, including people who are under age 45 and over age 65
- Applicants with an annual household gross income at 250 percent of the Federal Poverty Guidelines or below
- Applicants from all ethnic & racial backgrounds sexual orientations and gender identities
- Applicants with a variety of subtypes of and sites of metastatic breast cancer
Each participant will be required to complete the following within their volunteer commitment term:
- Conduct at least two individual activities in their community and work to connect others to LBBC's programs and services
- Participate in an LBBC-led outreach campaign to educate the public about metastatic breast cancer and the unique experiences and needs of those living with it
- Distribute LBBC resources to their healthcare providers
- Submit activity reports regularly throughout the training program to LBBC
- Primary travel to the conference, including airfare, train, bus or car and ground transportation (up to an announced maximum dollar amount)
- Maximum of up to three nights at the conference hotel in a room shared with another Hear My Voice outreach volunteer. Hear My Voice outreach volunteers who live more than 20 miles outside the conference region are eligible for the shared hotel room
- Conference fee waiver
The program is designed to offset the cost of traveling to the conference and training. It will NOT cover all your expenses.
- Any primary travel expenses not covered by the Hear My Voice program
- Any additional travel-related expenses, such as luggage fees, flight change fees, parking fees, travel insurance, etc.
- Any hotel expenses not covered by the Hear My Voice program
- Meals, snacks and beverages not included in training and conference functions
- Rental cars
- Incidentals charged to your hotel room (including, but not limited to, room service, health club charges, gift shop charges)
You are responsible for reserving your travel and making all necessary payments upfront. Hear My Voice participants are reimbursed for their travel expenses after they complete the training.
If accepted into the program, LBBC will reserve your shared hotel room for you and assign you a roommate. Program participants must share a standard hotel room or pay the cost difference for a single room.
Participants accepted into the October 2017 training will:
- Attend an evening training session on Thursday, October 5
- Participate in a full-advocacy training on Friday, October 6 and a shorter training session on Sunday, October 8
- Attend the Living Beyond Breast Cancer Conference on October 6-8, 2017 in Memphis, TN
What costs does the program cover this year?
- Primary travel to the training, including car mileage, airfare, train or bus (up to $450) or a free round-trip plane ticket voucher from Southwest, if Southwest is available at local airport
- Maximum of up to three nights in a hotel room shared with another program participant at The Peabody Memphis. Hotel room will only be provided to those living 20 miles outside of Memphis
- $75 registration fee for the Living Beyond Breast Cancer Conference
Thank You 2017 Hear My Voice Program Sponsors:
Avon Pfizer Metastatic Breast Cancer
Teresa Laraba Travel Grant
Award donated by