Sharing the news of a breast cancer diagnosis with family and friends is never easy, but it can be even more challenging to have conversations about cancer with children and teens.
Addressing the impact of breast cancer on sexuality is an essential part of patient care. This webinar covers challenges that patients and providers often experience when communicating about sexual health. Experts Heather Macdonald MD, FACOG, and Stephanie Buehler, MPW, PsyD, CST-S, IF, discuss approaches to meaningful interactions with patients surrounding different facets of this critical topic.
The program will:
- Help providers understand what patients struggle with the most in managing the impact of breast cancer on sexuality
- Address what providers struggle with the most in discussing sexuality with patients
- Illustrate the diversity of the patient experience with sexuality and breast cancer
- Broaden providers’ perceptions and expectations about sexuality and breast cancer while breaking down misconceptions and practicing affirmative care
- Highlight the essential role of communication – between patients and their partners, as well as patients and providers
- Provide models to guide providers’ conversations with patients and recommend tools they can use in practice
- Explain how to help patients connect with other experts for guidance
Please note: Contact hours, CEs, and certificates of participation are available only to providers who joined the live webinar on 8/3/2022.
About our speakers
Heather Macdonald MD, FACOG
Heather Macdonald MD, FACOG, is the medical director of the Hoag Early Risk Assessment Program and the Hoag Breast and Ovarian Cancer Prevention Program and voluntary assistant clinical professor of surgery at Keck School of Medicine at University of Southern California. As a board-certified obstetrician gynecologist (OB-GYN) and fellowship-trained breast surgeon, she is unique and provides a holistic approach to women’s reproductive health.Read full bio
Stephanie Buehler, MPW, PsyD, CST-S, IF
Stephanie Buehler, MPW, PsyD, CST-S, IF, is a licensed psychologist, AASECT-certified sex therapist and supervisor, and fellow of the International Society for the Study of Women’s Sexual Health. Dr. Buehler specializes in women’s sexual health; sexuality, chronic illness, and cancer; sexual pain disorders; and sexuality and mental health. She has worked with patients in many medical settings, including oncology in a pediatric hospital; an integrated wellness center; a pelvic floor PT clinic; and a clinic for women at high risk for breast and ovarian cancer.Read full bio
*This nursing continuing professional development activity was approved by the Ohio Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. (OBN-001-91)
*This program is Approved by the National Association of Social Workers (Approval # 886556304-4050) for 1 continuing education contact hours.
This webinar was supported by the Grant or Cooperative Agreement Number 1 NU58DP006672, funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or the Department of Health and Human Services.
Sign up to receive emotional support, medical insight, personal stories, and more, delivered to your inbox weekly.