Director, Special Events
Living Beyond Breast Cancer is seeking to hire a Director, Special Events who will be responsible for the strategic development and implementation of all signature events for the organization, raising $1.2 million annually. This position will contribute to the creation of meaningful and impactful events that increase revenue and donor loyalty, acquire new supporters, foster strong community relations, and garner press and brand awareness.
The Director, Special Events will lead LBBC’s annual gala, the Butterfly Ball (raising $800,000 annually), and DIY and peer-to-peer fundraising efforts (raising $400,000 annually). The Director will also play a key role in re-imagining LBBC’s future peer-to-peer brand and goals.
The Director must demonstrate internal team leadership while employing an entrepreneurial, collaborative, and results-oriented approach to lead and drive the production of high-quality events that advance our brand, donor involvement, cultivation, and stewardship. The Director will have a direct report along with consultants to work with.
LBBC is headquartered just outside Philadelphia in Bala Cynwyd, PA and is a hybrid workplace. Candidates for this position must be based in the Greater Philadelphia region.
Leadership and development strategy
- Support the Vice President, Development in managing and executing LBBC’s development and stewardship plans
- Evolve these stewardship plans by suggesting event-related revenue and strategy updates annually, focusing on emerging ideas, industry best practices, and data-driven analysis.
- Cultivate relationships and recruit members of the board of directors and other high-level volunteers to serve on event host committees; and support their strategic development efforts by provide training and facilitating the process to develop new revenue opportunities.
- Identify suspected revenue gaps and develop tactics to generate new revenue.
- Collaborate with the LBBC team in the development and implementation of concepts, themes, and formats for all events for the organization that engage supporters, increase brand awareness, and grow revenue.
- Oversee all aspects of fundraising events including budgets, communication, and vendor, venue, consultant, and volunteer coordination prior to, during, and after events to ensure flawless efficiency and optimal attendee and sponsor experience.
- Lead post-event activities including but not limited to debrief meetings, recognition of key constituents, financial reporting, and data transfer.
- Support cross-functional internal teams with the stewardship of host committees to secure members, sponsorships, in-kind gifts, and other event-based revenue.
DIY and peer-to-peer (P2P) fundraising
- Collaborate with LBBC’s leadership team to develop, implement, and evolve long-term strategies for DIY and P2P fundraising programs.
- Prepare and oversee the development and dissemination of all content and materials required for successful implementation of P2P fundraising programs. (i.e., online content, recruitment/promotional flyers, brochures, invitations, posters, training materials, donation solicitation, and retrieval forms and/or motivational materials, etc.).
- Implement and manage recruitment strategies for new and returning fundraisers interested in creating their own grassroots community fundraising event.
- Provide fundraising guidance and support to all fundraisers. Ensure the proper stewardship and retention of all fundraisers and their donors, including managing a portfolio of high-capacity fundraisers.
- Ensure collaboration among the development team at LBBC including connecting high-capacity fundraisers and donors to the appropriate development colleague for continued cultivation.
Managing development operations and revenue tracking
- Member of the organization’s leadership team
- Reports to the VP, Development but will also work closely with the CEO
- Manage a direct report and a set of event planning consultants.
- Design and update a regular progress-to-goal report and event revenue dashboard for the Vice President, Development and provide actionable analysis.
- Ensure accuracy in all event data input, records, and reports, working closely with the Director, Development to ensure data integrity.
- Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum seven (7) years nonprofit fundraising experience, preferably with some experience at a national nonprofit with a similar scope to LBBC
- Minimum three (3) years in a leadership role
- Demonstrable experience successfully managing fundraising events and peer-to-peer fundraisers to meet or exceed financial goals
- Experience contributing to implementing a portion of a strategic direction of an organization
- Strong computer application skills including word processing, spreadsheet, planning, scheduling, and database programs
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- A careful guardian of sensitive information about donors, board members, and LBBC’s community
- A commitment to understanding the needs of LBBC’s priority populations within the context of their cancer journey
- Interest in women’s health and medicine a plus
- Ability to travel within the US for select events as needed
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required. Individuals may claim exemption for medical or religious reasons
Salary range and benefits
Salary range begins at $80,000 per year. LBBC offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, 401(k), and paid time off.
Living Beyond Breast Cancer is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We respect and seek individuals of a diverse background and do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.