Resources for coping with COVID-19
COVID-19, also called the coronavirus, has caused stress and uncertainty for people around the world. Many people in our communities are worried about the risks to their health because of underlying conditions, such as a weakened immune system as a side effect of breast cancer treatments. Some are also wondering how to cope with weeks in the home avoiding human contact or going out for necessary appointments, such as treatment.
Know that you are not alone. LBBC is here to keep you informed during the COVID-19 outbreak and to support your mental health. We'll share new resources as more information becomes available.
Resources for COVID-19
Many people in active treatment for early-stage or metastatic breast cancer have weakened immune systems as a result of breast cancer treatments. There’s also the health-related anxiety you could feel around the constant COVID-19 news and the effects of distancing from other people. Here are some of LBBC’s specific resources about COVID-19.
Information from trusted experts
- How to preserve your fertility during the COVID-19 pandemic with Terri Lynn Woodard, MD
- Race, breast cancer, and COVID-19 with Celeste Vaughan-Briggs, LCSW
- Stress and anxiety after months of the COVID-19 pandemic with Pamela Ginsberg, PhD
- Managing lymphedema during the coronavirus outbreak with Crystal Champion, PT, DPT, CLT-ALM, Cert. DN
- Radiation therapy during the coronavirus outbreak and what comes next with Nicole Simone, MD
- Coronavirus: Clinical trials and the future of breast cancer research with Christian Nguyen, PharmD, MBA, MS
- How the coronavirus affects early-stage breast cancer treatment
- Financial resources during the coronavirus outbreak with Monica Fawzy Bryant, Esq
- Living with mets during the time of COVID-19 with Reshma L. Mahtani, DO and Gregory Garber, MSW, LCSW
- How the coronavirus affects breast reconstruction with Clara N. Lee, MD
- Telemedicine, the coronavirus, and breast cancer with Harold J. Burstein, MD, PhD
- Breast cancer and coronavirus: where we are now with Harold J. Burstein, MD, PhD
- Breast surgery and treatment changes during the coronavirus outbreak with Monique Gary, DO, MSc, FACS
- Breast cancer treatment during the coronavirus outbreak with Julie Gralow, MD, and Reshma Mahtani, DO
- Questions about coronavirus and breast cancer with Don S. Dizon, MD, FACP, FASCO
- Metastatic breast cancer and COVID-19 anxiety with Pamela Ginsberg, PhD
- Managing stress during COVID-19 with Pamela Ginsberg, PhD
- Getting breast cancer treatment during COVID-19 with Pallav Mehta, MD
- Call our helpline to talk to a peer
- COVID-19: Steps to take for people with breast cancer
Stories from women living with a breast cancer diagnosis
- Visiting the hospital for breast cancer treatment during the coronavirus outbreak
- Chemo during the coronavirus outbreak: Marisa
- What to expect from a virtual appointment
- Living in limbo: When cancer and COVID-19 collide
- Tools in the coping toolkit
Resources to manage stress and anxiety
Much of the advice LBBC shares about protecting your mental health through breast cancer treatment and beyond will continue to serve you well in dealing with about the uncertainties of COVID-19 and social distancing. Now is a good time to discover or revisit this helpful content. Where needed, think how you can change things while avoiding contact with others, such as using online support groups, reaching people through phone and video calls, and finding ways to exercise in your house.
Other helpful resources for COVID-19
Many other outlets are sharing valuable information on how to deal with the COVID-19 outbreak. LBBC shares our favorite content from trustworthy sources to help you find advice that is most helpful to you.
Advice and information to cope with anxiety and stress during the pandemic:
- American Psychological Association: Keeping your distance to stay safe
- Metastatic Breast Cancer Alliance: The MBC community and COVID-19
- Metastatic Trial Talk: MTT responds to COVID-19
- Harvard Health Blog: Coping with coronavirus anxiety
- Good Housekeeping: 6 ways to manage coronavirus anxiety
- CDC: Manage Anxiety and Stress During COVID-19
- Young Survival Coalition: From scanxiety to COVID-19
Medical and practical information about COVID-19 and the effects of social distancing:
- FORCE (Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowered): COVID-19 and breast cancer surgery
- Triage Cancer: Financial and insurance resources during COVID-19
Living Beyond Breast Cancer acknowledges with gratitude donations from Merck and the Eisai USA Foundation to support our programming.