Sami Mansfield, ACSM-CET, PN1
Founder, Cancer Wellness for Life
- LBBC Medical Advisory Board member since 2023
- Host, BeACTive, LBBC's exercise video series for people with breast cancer
- Co-author, Exercise, diet, and weight management during cancer treatment: ASCO Guideline
- Speaker, 2022 Virtual Conference on Metastatic Breast Cancer
Sami Mansfield, ACSM-CET, PN1, is the founder of Cancer Wellness for Life, an organization dedicated to developing, implementing, and optimizing exercise oncology and lifestyle medicine programs and resources for hospitals, healthcare organizations, pharmaceutical companies, nonprofits, and individuals impacted by cancer.
Commencing her career in 2003, Sami is among the pioneers in the field of cancer exercise specialists and wellness experts globally. Recognized for her adept program development and implementation skills, she is also known for her engaging and inspiring speaking engagements. Sami's work spans the frontline of patient care, providing wellness and exercise support, and extends to collaboration with healthcare leaders, oncology organizations, and policymakers. The overarching goal of her efforts is to empower individuals to harness the power of wellness and exercise, thereby enhancing their lives and mitigating the impact of cancer on society.
Sami has made significant contributions to several state cancer control plans, emphasizing lifestyle, exercise, and obesity management strategies in cancer prevention and survivorship. She played a key role in authoring the exercise, diet, and weight management during cancer treatment guideline for the American Society for Clinical Oncology, as well as the exercise recommendation for people with bone metastases, achieving consensus among healthcare providers and exercise professionals.
In 2016, Sami established BUILD, the first functional fitness program for cancer survivors in Kansas City. Its success paved the way for the opening of WeBuild4Life in January 2019, the only standalone fitness center for cancer wellness in the U.S. Responding to increased demand during the COVID-19 pandemic and recognizing the broader need for comprehensive lifestyle and weight management support, WeBuild4Life transformed into a virtual program named My Lifestyle Shift. My Lifestyle Shift offers education, tools, and support to cancer survivors globally.
In 2023, Sami collaborated with Living Beyond Breast Cancer to create and host BeACTive, a nine-part exercise video series for people with breast cancer. An experienced public speaker, Sami has developed numerous educational materials on various topics, serves as a regular podcast guest, and has provided consultation on clinical trials and cancer organization projects.
Sami witnesses firsthand the crucial role of exercise in mitigating side effects, preserving strength, and enabling resilience during and after cancer treatments and surgeries. She is deeply passionate about emphasizing the significance of exercise and actively encourages her clinical staff to prioritize their own well-being through physical activity.
Experience & accolades
- Exercise, wellness, and nutrition during and after cancer treatment
- Rocky Mountain Cancer Institute
- Certified Oncology Exercise Specialist
- American Council of Sports Medicine
- Certified Cancer Exercise Specialist and personal trainer
- University of Minnesota-Minneapolis
- Bachelor of Arts, Sociology
- Cancer Wellness for Life, 2015-Present
- Sarah Cannon Institute at HCA Midwest Health, 2017-2023
- Director of Oncology Wellness
- The University of Kansas Cancer Center, 2010-2017
- Wellness Program Development Manager
- Clinical trial consultant, Breast Cancer Survivorship Center
- Life in Focus, 2004-2010
- Cancer Exercise Specialist
- Ligibel, J., Bohlke, K., May, A., et al. “Exercise, Diet, and Weight Management During Cancer Treatment: ASCO Guideline.” Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2022.
- Campbell, K., Cormie, P., Weller, S. et al. “Exercise Recommendation for People with Bone Metastases: Expert Consensus for Healthcare Providers and Exercise Professionals.” JCO Oncology Practice, 2022.