Virginia Borges MD, MMSc
Deputy Head, Division of Medical Oncology; Director, Breast Cancer Research Program & Young Women’s Breast Cancer Translational Program, University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
- Speaker, 2023 Conference on Metastatic Breast Cancer
- Founder and director of the Young Women's Breast Cancer Clinic at the University of Colorado Cancer Center
- Oversees research trials focused on breast cancer in young women
Virginia F. Borges, MD, MMSc, founded and directs the Young Women’s Breast Cancer Clinic at the University of Colorado Comprehensive Cancer Center. The YWBCC of Colorado covers the unique issues of young women at diagnosis, through treatment, and beyond. This includes specialized management in pregnancy and breast cancer, family planning after breast cancer treatment, and clinical trials from diagnosis to advanced breast cancer treatments. The YWBCC of Colorado works with other departments to offer genetic testing, counselling, and research as well as tailored survivorship care and sexual wellness clinical management.
As director of the University of Colorado Breast Cancer Research Program, Dr. Borges oversees the clinical research team. The program works with the phase I and molecular targeted research teams to offer cutting-edge trials for women with advanced breast cancer.
Dr. Borges oversees trials on the significant problem of young women’s breast cancer, which carries a higher risk for metastatic recurrence and death. Dr. Borges has over 20 years of experience as a translational researcher with expertise in preclinical translational tumor immunology and cancer biology, novel translational research clinical trial design, and epidemiologic outcomes.
Experience & Accolades
- Medical oncology
- Breast cancer
- University of Colorado, Anschutz Medical Campus (2003-present)
- Professor of Medicine with Tenure
- Deputy Head, Division of Medical Oncology
- Director, Breast Cancer Research Program and Young Women’s Breast Cancer Translational Program
- New Persistent Opioid and Benzodiazepine Use After Curative-Intent Treatment in Patients With Breast Cancer. Sakamoto MR, Eguchi M, Azelby CM, et al.
- Surgical Treatment after Neoadjuvant Systemic Therapy in Young Women with Breast Cancer: Results from a Prospective Cohort Study Kim HJ, Dominici L, Rosenberg SM, et al.
- S-nitrosylated and non-nitrosylated COX2 have differential expression and distinct subcellular localization in normal and breast cancer tissue Jindal S, Pennock ND, Klug A, et al.
- Pregnancy after breast cancer: Results from a prospective cohort of young women with breast cancer. Poorvu PD, Gelber SI, Zheng Y, et al.
In the Media