Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- About Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- How you can help
- Why Living Beyond Breast Cancer?
- Support resources
- Get involved
Breast Cancer Awareness Month is an annual campaign held each October to raise awareness of this complex disease. Breast Cancer Awareness Month is a time when many individuals, businesses, and communities come together to show their support for those impacted by the disease. It can be a time to reflect, celebrate, and give back.
However, for many people, it is also a difficult reminder of their personal experience with breast cancer and the many lives we have lost.
- This year, more than 44,000 American lives and more than 685,000 lives globally will be lost to metastatic breast cancer.
- About 1 in 8 U.S. women and 1 in 833 U.S. men will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of their lives.
- In 2021, an estimated 284,200 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in the U.S., along with 49,290 new cases of non-invasive breast cancer*.
*American Cancer Society, Cancer Facts and Figures, 2021
For 30 years, Living Beyond Breast Cancer has been a trusted resource and community to more than a million people impacted by breast cancer...and yet, we have so much more meaningful work to do. When you support Living Beyond Breast Cancer, you make an immediate, positive difference in the lives of people affected by breast cancer.
Living Beyond Breast Cancer is one of the highest ranked breast cancer charities in the United States. For 16 straight years, Living Beyond Breast Cancer has earned a 4-star rating from Charity Navigator, the highest possible ranking for financial health and accountability. Through rigorous financial management, we earned the Platinum Seal of Transparency from Guidestar.
- USA Today recommends us as one of the top breast cancer charities to give to for support services and education.
- We have been awarded three successive, competitive CDC Cooperative Agreements to serve young women diagnosed with breast cancer.
- Living Beyond Breast Cancer is also proud to be recognized as an accredited charity by the Better Business Bureau.
Your support helps us provide:
- Trusted information on the latest medical updates, practical tips for living with breast cancer, and resources on self-care including nutrition, exercise, and meditation to over 600,000 people each year
- Peer support and fellowship to nearly 750 people each year on our Breast Cancer Helpline and 3,500 on an ongoing basis in our closed Facebook groups
- Financial assistance grants for those in treatment and facing financial difficulty for basic needs such as rent and utilities. Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have awarded nearly $400,000 in grants
We have compiled some support resources in case you are feeling triggered during Breast Cancer Awareness Month. If you would like to talk to someone who understands, reach out to our Breast Cancer Helpline or join one of our private Facebook Groups.
- Stories: What Breast Cancer Awareness Month Means to Me
- Understanding and naming triggers
- Managing fear of recurrence
Donations are always appreciated, but there are many ways to give back. Find out how to get involved, find support resources, or connect with our community on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. If you have any questions or need help organizing your breast cancer fundraiser, we’re here to assist. Please email [email protected].