Breast Cancer Awareness Month 2022
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, an annual campaign to raise awareness of this complex disease and fund research into its causes, treatment, and cure. Since 1985, individuals, businesses, and communities have come together every October to show their support for the many people affected by breast cancer. Breast Cancer Awareness Month can be a time to reflect, give back, or even celebrate.
Yet, for many people, Breast Cancer Awareness Month is also a difficult reminder of their personal experience with breast cancer and the many lives we have lost to this disease.
- In 2022, an estimated 290,560 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in the U.S., along with 51,400 new cases of non-invasive breast cancer. An estimated 43,780 people will lose their lives to metastatic breast cancer.
- About 1 in 8 U.S. women and 1 in 833 U.S. men will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of their lives.
- As of 2020, there were 2.26 million global cases of breast cancer, making it the most commonly diagnosed cancer in the world. 685,000 of those diagnosed have died.
These numbers remind us there is still urgent work to do — more than we can accomplish in just one month.
Together We C.A.N.
This Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Living Beyond Breast Cancer is highlighting all the ways collaboration continues to move us forward as we work every moment of every day of the year, to support people impacted by breast cancer.
LBBC’s 2022 BCAM theme is: Together We C.A.N. CAN is an acronym that stands for:
C - Change the conversation
A - Assist those impacted by breast cancer to get the information they deserve and need, and
N - Nurture and build a community of support.
We’ll be showcasing the work being done across the organization and the various ways we partner with the breast cancer community. We are grateful for our dedicated staff and board of directors, our volunteers, donors and partners.
In October and every day of the year LBBC and our community makes a difference in the lives of people impacted by breast cancer. Together we C.A.N. and we will!
"Living Beyond Breast Cancer is an incredible organization that provides education, services, and support to people living with all stages of breast cancer – from early-stage to metastatic disease. They work with a remarkable range of expert clinicians across a wide spectrum of specialties to ensure they continue to be a source of trusted information. LBBC resources enable patients and caregivers to better understand breast cancer, navigate the medical system, ask good questions of their health care teams, and advocate for themselves." Nancy U. Lin, MD
How you can help
For over 30 years, Living Beyond Breast Cancer has been a trusted resource for people with breast cancer and their loved ones. We have provided information and community to more than a million people. Yet, we have so much more to do. When you support Living Beyond Breast Cancer, you make an immediate, positive difference in the lives of people affected by breast cancer.
Raising awareness of breast cancer and taking action to care for people living with the disease is a group effort – not only during Breast Cancer Awareness Month, but every day of the year. Your time, your dollars, and your energy help advance our work. Together, we can achieve more.
We invite you to:
- Donate by giving a one-time or recurring gift to help LBBC keep providing trusted information and a community of support to people affected by breast cancer. No gift is too small, and every dollar truly counts.
- Fundraise through social media; a do-it-yourself fundraiser; or as part of our new signature fundraising event, coming in 2023. Our staff is available to talk through ideas and help you get started.
- Shop to support at the LBBC store or our partner stores for jewelry, LBBC brands, and more. Find breast cancer merchandise and ensure that a portion of your everyday spending benefits Living Beyond Breast Cancer.
Why Living Beyond Breast Cancer?
Living Beyond Breast Cancer is one of the highest-ranking breast cancer organizations in the United States:
- For the past 17 consecutive years, LBBC has earned a 4-star rating from Charity Navigator. Four stars is the highest possible ranking for financial health and responsibility.
- Through strong financial management, we earned the Platinum Seal of Transparency from Candid (formerly GuideStar).
- USA Today recommends LBBC as one of the top breast cancer charities for support services and education.
- We have been awarded three competitive CDC Cooperative Agreements in a row to serve young women with breast cancer.
“Living Beyond Breast Cancer meets people where they are. LBBC has a rich variety of programs to serve people with early-stage as well as metastatic breast cancer. Programs are further tailored to address specific populations, including young women and people of diverse ethnic backgrounds, and programs teach patients to advocate for themselves by arming them with the right questions. Helping people better understand their diagnosis allows them to communicate their needs better to their healthcare team, and that results in better care for the patient and a more rewarding relationship with the healthcare team.” Reshma L. Mahtani, DO
Your generous support has a significant impact on the audience we serve:
- We’re able to provide critical content to over 600,000 people each year, including:
- Trusted information on the latest medical news
- Practical tips for living with breast cancer
- Resources on self-care, including nutrition, exercise, and meditation
- We can continue to offer ongoing peer support and fellowship to over 800 people each year on our Breast Cancer Helpline and to more than 5,500 people in our closed Facebook groups.
- We are able to offer financial assistance grants to people in treatment who are having trouble meeting basic needs such as rent and utilities. Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have awarded over $450,000 in grants.
Donations are always appreciated, but there are many ways to give back. Learn how to get involved, find support resources, or connect with our community on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter. Your likes, retweets, and shares help us draw attention to important issues affecting the breast cancer community. They also help us reach more people who can benefit from LBBC’s programs. If you have any questions or need help organizing your breast cancer fundraiser, we’re here to assist. Please email [email protected].
Breast Cancer Awareness Month can be an emotional time for many people. Some find it triggering. We have compiled these support resources to help. If you would like to talk to someone who understands, reach out to our Breast Cancer Helpline or join one of our private Facebook Groups.
- Stories: What Breast Cancer Awareness Month means to me
- Understanding and naming triggers
- Managing fear of recurrence
You can also visit Breast cancer resources and support for links to organizations offering financial and practical support, support communities, resources for Black and Jewish women, and more.